Sunday, November 22, 2015

Big Personal Best!

Introduction

I'm getting used to the cold and 23 degrees didn't feel bad. I was wearing a new pair of fleece gloves I bought yesterday. They worked well.

This was a breakout run which was 30 seconds per mile faster than my previous best. It started by running faster in the first mile and not worrying about my heart rate. I figured maybe I'd warm up sooner and my heart rate would settle down. It stayed near 127 bpm the entire run.

This type of quick progress is not likely to continue unless the stride rate is getting high enough to make quicker runs possible.

One big thing did happen today. I am writing a book, and I thought about the book instead of listening to the audio book. Since the book is a novel about running, the plot may have helped me go faster.

Today's Run

11/22/15 (Run 14)
Temperature: 23
Wind: Calm

 Distance: 6.32 miles 

Stride Rate: 127.78

Average pace/mile: 15:31


Charts

The flat spots show the monitor wasn't receiving a great signal from my wrist. Perhaps it was due to the cold. Any errors probably offset. The heart rate for every half mile was the same at 127.

In my opinion, going faster in the beginning allowed me to warm up more quickly and let my heart rate settle down. I'll see what happens in the future.

This was a huge improvement. I set a personal best for each mile. I thought the progress to about 10 minutes a mile would come in a few months, and I'm beginning to believe it may happen. 

 Today's run is an outlier, and it's likely I'll regress somewhat to the mean.

Conclusion

My heart rate has been a little high throughout the day. I may take tomorrow off depending on how it does while I'm sleeping.

No comments:

Post a Comment