Saturday, November 21, 2015

Changing maximum heart rate

Introduction

Surprisingly, it was snowing a lightly when I started running. This slowed me a little at times when the surface was slick. I felt like I'd have been better off without the rest day yesterday.

Today's Run

11/19/15 (Run 12)
Temperature: 26
Wind: Calm

 Distance: 6.31 miles 

Stride Rate: 127.72

Average pace/mile: 16:20


Charts

My average heart rate exceeded the target maximum again. It seems like my heart likes to settle at 127 or 128 beats per minute. Setting 128 bpm as the maximum is unrealistic. I'm raising the maximum to 131 and using some discretion about days off. 

 

Aside from the snow, I purposely ran more slowly today in an attempt to keep my heart rate down. I'm not going to do this anymore.


This is the big picture for the final goal of 15 eight-minute miles. This is supposedly out of reach for my age, but I'll see what happens. As I looked at this chart, I realized the faster I improved my times in the beginning, the more slowly I would need to improve them at the end.

I discovered my times improve the more frequently I check my pace. I'll be monitoring half-mile splits and current pace to make this happen while being careful not to strain too much.

Conclusion

Every plan gradually changes as reality meets theory. This plan is no different.

No comments:

Post a Comment