Saturday, November 14, 2015

Metronome Running

Introduction

When progressing towards a goal, I believe in focusing on input instead of output. Another way of putting this is focusing on cause instead of effects. Effects are largely random in the short term, and without knowing the cause they may be impossible to reproduce.

Click Track

In order to maintain my stride rate precisely, I always run with a metronome. To be more precise, I use a click track I overlay on audio books. You can make click tracks by downloading the free program here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/audacity/ 

I started the first day with a stride rate of 127.00, and I'm increasing it by 0.06 a day. This amount isn't even noticeable from one day to the next. As my stride rate increases, my running speed will inexorably increase in the long term.

Running with a metronome may sound boring, but I stopped noticing it after a few runs. My feet know how to match the metronome. Meanwhile, I get to listen to audio books I record from my Kindle Fire.

My long term goal is a stride rate of about 160, which is normal for recreational runners.

Day Off

Taking a day off after two days of my heart rate being above my target maximum was difficult. My legs felt sluggish the whole day, and I mostly sat around doing nothing. I didn't get that energetic feeling all day that I do when I run. I almost swore not to take anymore days off. It paid off though. Today, my heart rate averaged only 109 beats per minute.

Today's Run 

11/14/15 (Run 8)
Temperature: 24
Wind: 8 mph
Distance: 6.22 mile

Stride Rate: 127:42
Average pace/mile: 16:36 (I told you I was slow.)

I walked 1/2 mile before starting the run. My legs felt heavy, but I figured they would feel better when I started running and they did. I became too focused on my mile splits instead of focusing on maintaining the stride rate on the click track. This caused me to increase my stride length at times and created a minor pain in my hip.

I need to believe increasing my stride rate will eventually improve my speed even if it means some slow runs at times.

Heart Rate

My heart rate was 128 bpm the first mile, and I was regretting my decision to take a day off. Then it dropped to 117 the second mile, 113 the third mile and 109 the fourth mile. I didn't check the others. One run isn't a proof, but it sure gave me a data point to take a day off after any run where my heart rate exceeds my target max.


My splits were relatively slow, but in the end, I precisely ran my target time for today. I have to believe in the click track.

The trend line is skewed by a run I took on a warm day. Even without that day's run, it seems like it is going in the right direction. This is a SLOW process, so I need to practice the sort of patience this method demands.

Conclusion

Tomorrow, I may try running the entire route without looking at my Fitbit Surge and worrying about splits. It may reduce my pace, but I have to remember the goal is increasing my stride rate so the pace increases.




No comments:

Post a Comment